Friday, July 22, 2011

The Island Part 2

 

It’s “Me Island!” 2

I love to create but I am more of an idea generator, so 

when it comes to big projects, I have been known to

bite off more than I can chew. Which, is true in the

case of “me island.” So I want to first dedicate this post

to my father-in-law Jim and my husband David

for all the time they spent cutting down my

materials and allowing me use of some of their tools,

garage space, expertise and especially for the final assembly.

I learned a lot by working with them!

 

island collage

 

(As you can see, the tools required were wickedly dangerous for

someone not experienced: me! )

In a nut shell this is how the project went:

I dreamed,

I acquired,

They thought I was crazy,

I demolished,

I sanded,

They thought I was crazy,

I sanded some more,

 We shopped,

They cut,

I gave my artistic opinion,

They cut some more,

I painted,

They still thought I was crazy,

They screwed it all back together!

I touched up paint and added fabric accents,

paper towel holder, and dishtowel holder and

TA Da!

“Me Island!”

completed island, portable island, island, kitchen island, diy island, repurposed cupboards, cupboard,  

Folks I’m tellin’ ya, it has it all! 

Supreme storage and organization on

ALL sides!

kitchen island, DIY kitchen island, repurposed cabinets

Some things to note:

The top was the most challenging

thing to find on a budget. I searched hard to find

secondhand or inexpensive materials. I ended up

with an unfinished pine tabletop from IKEA which is

not recommended for cutting surfaces due to its

softness and tendency to stain easily. However

for my situation, budget was more of a priority. I

will treat the top with mineral oil, and continue to use

conventional cutting boards for preparing meals as

you would with a laminate surface. (not a bad compromise)

BUDGET: $100.00

approximate total spent $135.00

cost of a comparably sized portable island: $299-399

approximate savings: $165-$265

Experience+ Memories+Storage+Custom made= Priceless!

 assistant

See Before Photos Here

Linked up at: I Heart Naptime

the shabby creek cottage  six sisters stuff

              thriftydecorchick  craft o maniac   Skip to my lou

making the world cuter    Gingersnapcrafts

sumossweetstuff  day and age design Blissful and Domestic 

Keeping it simple  CRAFT  tipjunkie  sugarbeecrafts

Please I am BEGGING HERE, tell me what you think,

USING THE LINK (comments) below! Thanks a HEAP!

(I fixed it you do not have to sign up or be a member to comment)

Best Blogger Tips Pin It

17 comments:

  1. What a cool project. This will make cooking in a small kitchen possible. And I love the bonus features. And now all the spices are handy too!! Great job sweaty! You rocked this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trulie I really like this. You are doing great.
    Lonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'm so impressed! I love refinishing furniture so I know what a big job that is! It looks fabulous! Can you make one for my tiny kitchen? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job!! Looks great- love how the baskets & pretty fabric make it cute as well as functional :) Hope you will show this off @ our weekend linky party going on! Happy Sunday!

    :)Kristi & Kelli
    http://lollyjaneboutique.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this.... NOW following!!.... I've been looking for inspiration for multi-tasking kitchen space..my kitchen is highly nonfunctional for a normal person me I had to learn to use what I got ... my story is coming soon on my kitchen. You might cry if you seen my pictures considering how beautiful this piece is. Awesome job! ... Caity from Teachingsromlilslugabug

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the result of your island :) Your willing assistant pix is priceless too.

    Thanks for sharing
    Viewing from Linky Party at Craft-O-Maniac
    ~Suzanne in IL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love islands! :) Love all the storage you have underneath. Following from I Heart Naptime link party. Would love to have you link this up to my {wow me} wednesday link party going on right now over on my blog {if you haven‘t already!}. Hope to see you there.

    Ginger
    gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous! You did a great job bringing your ideas into fruition.

    Thank you for stopping by and leaving a thoughtful comment on my bathroom reno....I am a new follower....love your blog!

    Jamie
    day-and-age-design.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, Trulie!! This is incredible! You are super creative and I am so excited for you! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so impressed! That is amazing! The fabric is really pretty too, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very impressive!! I am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice hubby! That was a lot of hard work! Come see a vintage boy's room!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my heck- this turned out amazing!!! Thank you so much for sharing! I love the black and white- it looks beautiful. Thank you so much for linking up to Strut Your Stuff Saturday! We are so grateful for your support and we hope that you will be back tomorrow to share more great ideas!
    Camille @
    SixSistersStuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Trulie! This turned out amazing!! It looks SO cute.. and totally functional! I'd love to see the before pic of the cabinet. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been thinking of an island for awhile but was a little scared off with all the details. Thanks so much for your example -- it's now my inspiration to make my own.

    An impressed new follower

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it turned out great. I love the fabric or pattern on your doors and I love all the repurposing you did to make something original pretty darn fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Way to go, girl! Let 'em think your crazy! I've come up with a few doozies in my time that worked out just fine. But yours is not only functional but beautiful too! VERY nice job!

    ReplyDelete